Friday 8 June 2007

New York, New York! (Monday 4/6- Wednesday 6/6)

Hello, or should I say Hi?

I hope you're all in good health.

Well here I am on the other side of the Atlantic.

I arrived here Monday around 1pm (EST), around 6pm (BST).

The weather was pretty grey and miserable, and my body clock was all over the shop.

After one thing and another I didn't get to leave my hostel until around 5pm, and only got to see a bit of the area around W 107 St. where I was staying before going to bed.

With regards the hostel, for those of you who remember my Middle Street bedsit, think that but if had really let itself go!

However, it was a bed, and to be honest will probably be a comparitive luxury in future weeks.

So I guess you'd like to know where I've been and what I've done?

Did someone say "No" then?

Ignoring that, this has been my itinerary the past week:

Tuesday:

Early morning stroll through Central Park;

A trip up the Empire State Building- Not as scary as I though it would be;

Lunch in Greenwich Village;

Passed the WTC site- Genuinely very moving;

Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then walked back after I realised there was nothing I wanted to see there;

Dinner in China Town;

Then the long journey home of 100 blocks plus, passing Broadway and Times Square en route.

Wednesday:

Visited Brighton Beach- Not as big as ours;

Then onto the Coney Island Fun Fair- Think typical British seaside resort fun fair, Ie. not that exciting. I did go on the Wonder Wheel in a moment of madness. It was very high, and the compartments deliberately swung up and down. I know I'm not that masculine;

Watched the England football match in a bar- $20 entrance charge!!!

Then saw former Brighton boys The Macabees play their first New York gig at a venue called the Knitting Factory- Thanks for the guest list Iain.

Three of the four activities I've all done back in the UK!

New post to follow soon...

No comments: