Friday 8 June 2007

New York, New York (Thursday 7/6- Friday 8/6)

As James Brown sang "I'm back", at some stage in career no doubt...

By Thursday, and after having walked up and down Manhattan from the top of Central Park on a daily basis, my legs were beginning to ache a bit and so I started to use the Subway more regularly to get around.

Although I did walk a large part of the journey to the Financial District to get a train over to Jersey City, where in the afternoon I spent a couple of hours at Free Form radio station 'wfmu' 91.1 FM.

The guys were really hospitable especially volunteer co-ordinator Scott Williams, who showed me around their studios.

It was really interesting to see an organisation not disimilar to Reverb in some respects, but on a much larger scale!

Talking about Reverb, did anyone see the Meridan news piece on the station this week?

Apparently I was on it?

I didn't notice a camera following me around New York this week though!

Once back in Manhattan I then took the Staten Island ferry across the Hudson River, past the Statue of Liberty, over to Staten Island.

Again on arrival I discovered there wasn't much to do to be honest, and so came straight back.

I then decided to let fate chose where I would have my dinner, and with number nine being my lucky number, I decided I would get off at the ninth subway stop from the ferry port and have my dinner wherever that location was.

Luckily for me it was the trendy up market Chelsea district!

Anywho, I'm sure you've all had at least one trip to the toilet and a tea break, so I'll let you know where I'm at now.

I'm currently waiting to check in at the Holiday Inn in Secaucus, New Jersey, that I'll be staying in tonight before the 64 day Trek America part of my trip begins.

I don't think you'll find Secaucus in any tourist guides.

Think Brighton Marina.

The weather, as has it has been since Monday, is gloriously sunny.

There isn't anything really to do around here, so I may head back to Manhattan for the rest of the day for one last time until probably early August.

Stay well, and have a nice day!

No comments: