Thursday 23 August 2007

Philadelphia Freedom

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
Thursday 16th- Saturday 18th August


Having done the iconic, or should that be ironic considering my stature, 'Rocky' pose on the steps of the Philadelphia the following day I went somewhere a bit more historical, although perhaps no less fictional.

That was the home of Betsy Ross, the lady whom legend has it sewed the first American flag.

In the afternoon I then went slighty further afield and took the bus outside of the city to the nearby Germantown district.

However the area was not quite the picturesque community I had envisioned through my Philadelphia guidebook, and the never ending journey along the far from salubrious Germantown Avenue resembled little to my map.

Eventually I decided to stop for a late lunch in a kitsch American roadside diner for yet another Philly Cheesesteak, and where I am pleased to say the people there, as was often the case in this particular city, were ever welcoming.

On the Friday I spent most of yet another enjoyable day in Philly at the Benjamin Franklin Institute.

A museum not disimilar to our own Science Museum with its interactive displays.

I even boldly took a bicycle ride on a tightrope across the main hall on the Skybike, despite my inability to normally ride one on solid ground!

After another a day spent wandering around the city that evening I briefly visited the Gloria Del Rei Swedish church and then went onto the Italian district for what would be the fourth and final Philly Cheesesteak of my stay.

I really enjoyed my time in Philadelphia, and with the exception of Manhattan, I might even now place it as my favourite US city.

Great praise indeed for a place that I had not given a great deal of consideration towards prior to my arrival.

No comments: